07 January 2011

Chocolate Chip Cake-Cookie Puffs!

I thought that it was a good idea to make a Victoria Sandwich cake. I weighed the sugar and butter and flour according to a recipe that I used around 7 years ago in Food Tech class, and I started mixing...
And then I realised that this was NOT going to work out because
1. The "batter" was the consistency of cookie dough.
2. The butter was globby.
3. The "batter" was brown, not yellowy-creamy-white, because I had used whole wheat flour instead of bleached flour.
4. I didn't have an electric whisk.

I'm not really sure why the batter worked out right 7 years ago, but completely failed when I tried to make it again. The method said to add the butter into the flour and sugar, rather than cream the butter and sugar first, which is what I'd usually expect to do.

So I added 3/4 cups of milk and then realised that the globby, pungent butter [Okay, the butter wasn't pungent, but I've decided that I don't like the smell of butter by itself. It needs to be creamed with sugar to smell good] was not going to somehow melt and homogenise into the mixture. I did not take a picture of it because it was terribly ugly.

So I added another 250 grams of flour... and make chocolate chip cake-cookie puffs!
It doesn't look like the dough is airy and not-dense, but it actually is. When you poke it, it should feels soft, and a hole should be easily made.
[Note the usage of my pie pan from "Santa"!!]

They aren't that sweet, which is good.

Ingredients for 45 cookie puffs:
1. 400g 100% whole wheat flour, or basically enough to make a dough that you can mould into balls with your hands - just keep adding flour by the tablespoon
2. 150g butter [about 1.5 sticks]
3. 3/4 cup milk
4. 3 eggs
5. 170g sugar
6. vanilla and chocolate chips, however much you want!
7. 1 tbsp baking soda
8. 1 tsp baking powder
9. Numbers 7. and 8. aren't that well tested out. Straight after baking, I could taste the baking soda, but after letting the cookies sit for two days, the taste of the baking soda is... gone...
Method:
1. [Don't do what I did, and mix the flour with the the butter...] Cream butter with sugar, and add eggs and vanilla. Add milk.
2. Add flour by the tablespoon.
3. Use hands to roll a dough. The dough SHOULD NOT STICK to the hands. Sift dough if you feel like it.
4. Add baking soda and baking powder.
5. The dough should be light, airy, NOT DENSELY PACKED, gooey, and feel plasticky.
6. Add however many chocolate chips you want.
7. Make balls the size of meatballs, maybe with a 3cm diameter.
8. Bake [see below]
I baked two batches. The first one was on the middle rack at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
The second batch was on the bottom rack at 360 degrees F for 6 minutes, and then left in the oven for ~10 minutes.
They should be done when a fork stuck inside the centre of the cookie comes out clean. They will appear soft when taken out of the oven, but they harden.
Both batches turned out basically the same...The cookies do not spread in the oven. In other words, you can make them into any shape you'd like.
The image above includes both the first batch and the second batch... and they look the same. They also taste the same; cakey, airy, dry-ish, not bland, textured [due to the whole wheat flour] and not too sweet. They don't taste greasy or rich or saturated with chocolate chips. Actually, maybe they're more muffin-y than cakey. You decide.

My mother likes them. She thinks that they look like meatballs! They are quite 3D, due to the baking powder and baking soda, of course. These can totally be cakes...except that they don't require a cake pan or paper baking cups.

So, how are my baking skills? I can turn a failed cake recipe into a cookie recipe... I guess that shows that I'm not a complete neophyte, right?
And now to actually make a Victoria sandwich cake...

No comments:

Post a Comment