09 January 2011

Spaghetti and Cheese

I like whole wheat pasta.
We don't have any whole wheat macaroni at home [and I don't think we have any macaroni], so I made some whole wheat sphaghetti with cheese sauce today.

I started looking through allrecipes.com to find a nice cheese sauce to make, since I've only made legitimate cheese sauce once before in my life [I think it was during Food Tech class? I'm not sure...]. I got sick of looking through recipes though, because the comments irked me and... I guess I just didn't feel like following instructions.

So here is my recipe, and it makes enough sauce for one pound of spaghetti, approximately. If you really like cheese, make more sauce!

1. 1 tbsp oil [highly unnecessary, actually, if you use normal-fat cheese].
2. 1 c fat-free milk
3. 1 c whole fat milk
4. 2 tbsp mustard
5. Old Bay seasoning, pepper, garlic, herbs, pepper.
6. 3 tbsp flour
7. Whatever filling you want, e.g. TVP, salmon chunks, ground-up flesh, lettuce etc.
8. 3 cups of shredded cheese. Or 4 cups. or 5. or 6. However much saturated fat you can handle.

Method:
1. Mix all the ingredients except for the flour in a saucepan. Put it on high heat until you start seeing bubbles.
2. On lowish heat, add flour, 1 tbsp at a time, and mix until there are no more lumps.
3. Turn off heat and mix in shredded cheese, one cup at a time. If you want, add in fillings.
4. Add in cooked pasta.
5. EAT WHEN HOT. When the cheese sauce gets cold, it tastes grainy and... cold... and not comforting at all. The image below is cold pasta because no one was ready for dinner at 5:30pm. After it was heated again, it was nice and gooey again. I know it doesn't look like the cliche "mac 'n' cheese" because I didn't use cheddar cheese and I used whole wheat spaghetti...

No comments:

Post a Comment