08 January 2011

Gooey Cheese "Biscuits"!

Well, I finally removed myself from Penn's food blog [I never posted on there anyway] because its style was very different from mine, and I prefer to vent out everything on this blog. Sure, they get more readers [do they?], but this blog was made by myself. Also, there's a lot of Penn-Dining-Hall- bashing/insulting/burning in effigy on there. While I disagree with the meal plan that we are forced to buy, I do like the food.
I had about half a jar of mayonnaise remaining from the potato salad I made last week, so I decided to use it to make something. But what? I'm not particularly fond of mayonnaise in the first place, so I had to make something that everyone else in the family would eat.

I found a recipe for mayonnaise biscuits written by someone who I don't think I like [judging by her writing style and comments and the fact that she uses mixes for basically everything; okay, I'm being narrow-minded and mean here].

I used it as the basis of what I made, but I made it better! You know it! Sure, they are "biscuits" in the American conventional definition, but they're definitely pretty good. A bit oily, but kind of like cheesy potato patties [without the potato]. The picture below is the batter made following her recipe.
The following is my version! Note that these are not British biscuits. Those are sweet, and a synonym for those is "cookie".

Ingredients for 12 patty-type-American-"biscuits"
1. 14 to 16 tbsp mayonnaise [Please. Get. The. Fatty. Original. Kind.]
2. 1/2 cup of fat-free milk
3. 1/4 cup whole fat milk, put into jar and swirled around so that the last globs of mayonnaise can be used
4. 1 cup of self-rising flour
5. 2 big tbsp of 100% whole wheat flour
6. 1/2 tsp baking soda
7. 2 cups of shredded cheese!
8. Lots of garlic powder and herbs! No salt is fine in my opinion.
Method:
1. Mix everything except ONE CUP of cheese. You will get something that looks like the image above^ [the dark spots are dried herbs; I used oregano, basil, and thyme]. The dough should be like muffin dough, and very sticky. It doesn't taste that great when it is uncooked.
2. Spoon evenly into 12 muffin cups. Since I don't have muffin cups, I spooned them into tart shells. And a pumpkin-shaped mould.
3. Sprinkle remaining cup of shredded cheese over each spoonful of batter.
4. Bake for 14-16 minutes at 400 degrees F in an un-preheated oven. I never preheat my oven...
5. Leave everything in the un-operating oven for 15-20 minutes.
These biscuit-patty-gooey-thingys taste very cheesy, gooey, and a bit oily. They are not the conventional dry American biscuit that you get at fried chicken restaurants. The texture is extremely spongy [like a sponge cake!]. They are a bit puffy, but they didn't rise much in the oven.
Now it really looks like a pumpkin...

No comments:

Post a Comment