26 May 2010

Chinese Version of Mochi!

When my grandpa came to visit us, he brought over a few kilos of food [he's still here; he's going back in September], and among them was this sesame mochi. Mochi is this Japanese candy, made out of rice flour. Inside the rice flour is a flavoured filling, such as sesame paste, red bean paste, green tea flavoured cream, or chocolate [in the U.S.]. The one my grandpa brought isn't exactly Japanese mochi; the rice flour exterior was kinda lumpy and dry and of course, it was manufactured in China. The sesame had a very peculiar taste. There was a modicum of sourness. This was rather disturbing, because sour sesame filling can only mean one thing. There was a random ingredient!!! Oh no! Though, if China had a non-corrupt FDA, I wouldn't be blogging about this mochi right now. Then again, I'd rather be healthy than have sour-sesame-inflicted-cancer. However, I'm not a hypochondriac...so I digress. Anyway. One funny thing is that the wrapper said "injoy". It's pretty funny, as I have two friends named "Joy", and I suppose the mochi would be in them, if they consume it...
I love looking at Chinese translations into English, because they are truly. Fail. I'm probably going to blog about that, one day, too. All I needa do is go to the Asian food store at some point in the near future...
I didn't know my camera was capable of going into such detail. I suppose natural light is way better than flash. Anyway, you guys can see the calluses on my hand from doing push ups on the track. :) I've just realised how much I love sports... even though I've never really looked at myself as "athletic". I mean, I love XC, track, badminton, archery, table tennis, parkouring, climbing trees, pole vaulting [which I tried yesterday and today, probably for the first and last times ever]...
I just realised that none of that stuff is "big" in the U.S. The U.S. likes American football and baseball. Oh, and swimming, because of Phelps.

No comments:

Post a Comment