25 August 2011

Oreo-style Cookies

UPDATE: My brother claims that he adores these cookies. He even asked whether I blogged about them! He thinks that they're amazing and sweet and cookie-ish. My sister also likes them too. Therefore, I will make these for them at some point in the future.

I like Oreo cookies, even though I generally prefer soft cookies over crunchy ones. Oreos, however, have a specifically... dusty, gritty, cocoa taste. I think that I'd make these again, but I'd let them be soft/bake them for a shorter amount of time. I'll just continue to eat Oreos from the packet (without the filling. I don't like Oreo filling much.) I got the recipe from a website (*insert bitter rant here, into which I will not divulge*) that got it from Smitten Kitchen but I changed some of it to include whole wheat flour and less butter.

INGREDIENTS for about 36 flat cookies 6 cm in diameter
100 g white flour
35 g whole wheat flour
240 g caster sugar
120 g butter
pinch of salt
0.25 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
50 g unsweetened cocoa powder
1 egg

METHOD
1. Let butter soften in a bowl.
2. Throw everything into the bowl except the egg.
3. Cut butter. Keep cutting. You will start off with a powdery mixture (west of image below), but over time, you'll get something that looks like cookie crumbs and and SMELLS LIKE OREOS!! (south east of image).
4. Crack an egg into the crumbs and mix until you get a thick, scoopable batter. Each cookie is about one sort-of-heaped teaspoonful of batter. Remember to grease the pan with the butter wrapper!
5. Bake in an unpreheated oven at 182 degrees C/360 degrees F on the lower rack for 8 minutes if you want soft cookies or 10 minutes if you want hard cookies. They will be shiny.
6. Let cookies sit in oven for 10-15 minutes.
7. Take cookies out of oven and stick them on a cooling rack. They may seem really soft when they come out of the oven, but they harden slightly over time. I find it easier to put the cookies upside down on the cooling rack.

ALTERNATIVE METHOD
After step 4: microwave the scoops of cookie dough for 45 seconds. Take out of microwave, flip over, and microwave for another 30 seconds. The cookies from the microwave are crispier (for sure) and taste a little more greasy. However, they cook ~4 times as fast, so that's a plus, right?

2 comments:

  1. these look yummy! how are they oreo inspired though? i see no sandwich center or white creme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh haha they're just the Oreo outside part since I don't like Oreo filling.

    ReplyDelete