06 August 2011

Zucchini Pie


We have a lot of zucchini in the house due to the fact that my dad planted a lot of zucchini this year. I'm going to make zucchini brownies at some point, but for now, I've made zucchini pie. It's extremely moist, and has the texture of a generic quiche, but without as much egg. Actually, I would say it has the texture of chunky flan, although it's a savoury pie rather than a sweet pie. I got the basic recipe from my dad's company's employee-submitted-recipes cookbook, so I guess credit goes to Ms Conti. I modified the recipe because we had a lot of zucchini, and I also decided to cut out the oil.

Ingredients for one 24-cm diameter pie
600-800 g shredded zucchini (More zucchini=more moist/pudding-like)
100 g parmesan cheese (or more, if you like)
50 g self-raising flour
50 g 100% whole wheat flour
4 eggs
Few leaves of fresh basil
Salt
Pepper

Method:
1. Mix everything. The consistency should be like a medium cake batter. The final product will only be a bit drier. The pie will rise a little.
2. Bake at 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) for about 30-40 minutes. Leave it in the oven if you want. For me, the flour was a bit undercooked in the centre, so I had to stick it in the oven for a bit longer.

The pie is not crispy or crunchy. Like I said, it's quiche-like, but lacks a crust and is definitely more light. It's great for breakfast! Lunch! Dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment