05 March 2011

Brownies!

I was going to make my sister a Victoria sandwich cake today. However, she wanted brownies, so I literally just finished making brownies with her from scratch. I'm not super happy with store-bought brownie mixes because of the PHO, so I altered this brownie recipe.
Unfortunately, the liquid in the brownie refused to disappear so I ended up cooking the brownie for 10 minutes longer than it should've been cooked [hoping that the liquid would evaporate] and I ended up pouring the liquid down the drain [it somehow leaked out of all of the brownie... it was like pouring water out of a can of fish or something]. I'm not sure whether the liquid was oil or water, but I'm guessing it's the water from the milk.
This is my recipe, and I believe that there should be NO MILK in it [I'll try it again another time and see what happens without milk].
1. 1 cup sugar
2. 2 cups whole wheat flour
3. 3/4 cup cocoa powder
4. 1/2 cup honey
5. 1 cup oil
6. 3/4 cup fat-free milk [which I believe caused all the liquid problems...]
7. vanilla
8. 1 tsp leftover salt
9. 1 tsp baking soda

Method:
1. Mix all non-liquid ingredients. Add in all liquid ingredients.
2. Bake at 350 F, bottom rack, for 20 minutes. This fit well in a 9.5 inch diameter circular pan.
3. A lot of bubbling and liquid is seen.
4. Bake for another 10 minutes and realise that none of the liquid has evaporated.
5. Take out pan and pour out liquid.
6. Let it chill....

I believe that steps 3-5 should be omitted if I don't use milk. I'll have to try that soon.
The brownies didn't turn out super sweet, which I really like but my sister kind of dislikes [she likes everything saturated with sugar or salt]. The inside is extremely moist and gooey, although the outside is kind of hard [sorta gluteny too, actually]. It is a beautiful colour and texture. I'm very happy with it, except for the weird part during the baking. My dad thought there was some coffee in it, which I suppose means that the cocoa flavour is quite pronounced.

My sister added a glaze of powdered sugar, vanilla and milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment